Shoestring Beauty - Homemade Beauty Products


I'm a sucker for beauty products but they can be so expensive. Here are some ways that I found to indulge in fun products and still hang on to the plastic thingy at the end of the shoestring.
  • Look for your favorite make up and lotions at Big Lots. I often find a brand that I like or that I've wanted to try for a fraction of the cost at Big Lots. The inventory changes quickly so you have to check often.
  • Two other great discount places for lotions and perfumes are Ross and TJ Max. They carry many of the face creams that you find in high end department stores at a huge discount - $5.99 for a 29.00 face cream. Now, I would never pay 30ish dollars for face cream, but I would try it for 5ish.
  • I have often found name brand make up like Maybelline and Cover Girl at Dollar Tree and other dollar type stores.
  • There are also homemade beauty treatments that are cost effective and fun. AllNaturalBeauty.us offers a whole list of recipes for your homemade spa using ingredients that you probably have in your kitchen. Being the coffee lover that I am, I found the Invigorating Coffee Scrub very intriguing:
    • 3 T Coffee grounds (organic-caffeinated)
    • 1 T Salt (optional)

To Make: Brew a fresh pot of coffee. Enjoy a cup, if you like. Put grounds (and salt) in a small bowl. Use grounds within 20 minutes of brewing before oxidation occurs.

To Use: Scrub mixture over entire body while in the shower. Rinse. Tone. Moisturize.

  • If you are thinking green these days, Planet Green gives a whole list of homemade beauty products and suggestions: 3 ways to make your own shampoo, vegetable oil as a hair conditioner, homemade vegetable toner - just to name a few.

  • About.com:Beauty has a section on homemade facials, masks and soaps. They even have a recipe for Coffee Scented Kitchen Soap and a yummy Orange Yogurt Mask.

Cosmetics and Creams are fun but remember that beauty comes from the inside. A loving heart, giving hands, a mind stayed on the One who created beauty in the first place will shine through to true loveliness.
Add to Technorati Favorites

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wayne said. "I tried that coffee body scrub before going to bed and it kept me awake all night long.

momof3girls said...

thanks for the recipe and the website info!!

alisebeauty said...

Coffee mask is the least expensive way to keep my skin peeled.
It help to get rid of
scaly skin on face too!