Be Old Fashioned, Post Through the Post


I recently had a conversation with a friend who reminded me of something that I have let slip in my life. I spend so much time at the computer, as so many people do, that I forget that email and twitter and facebook can't really take the place of personal communication. My friend mentioned how nice it is to get a handwritten message, a card or a letter, in the mail. Especially now days when every mail delivery is met with apprehension about what bills will be waiting for us in that little box. What a joy to find the treasure of a message from a friend hidden between the bills and junk mail.
When my husband and I were dating, we lived far enough away from each other that calls were long distance and we were only able to see each other on the weekends. So, each week we wrote each other one letter. I remember the excitement of rushing to the mailbox when I got home in hopes that there would be a letter from him, the excitement of seeing his return address on the envelope and my name written in his handwriting. Yes, I was (and am) very much in love. But the point, for this post, is that the communication in those old fashioned posts was not a hurried email but a carefully thought out message that added growth and excitement to our relationship.
My heart still smiles when I get a card or a letter in the mail. Really, what an inexpensive way to make someone's day a little brighter, just .42 for a stamp. We don't need to buy expensive cards, note paper will do or keep your eye out for cards that your friends can frame or reuse. My mom does a fun thing, she sends one of her beautiful cards* with her note written on a separate piece of paper so that I can reuse the card. I get a smile and then I can send it to someone else to make them smile.
So, I resolve to send treasures in the mail much more often. I will step back in time, grab a pen, paper and stamp and post through the post.

*My mom, Kay, is a watercolorist. She often turns her lovely paintings into cards. Visit her blog Joy To You - Inspirations of hope and joy in art and scripture. www.kay-joytoyou.blogspot.com
Add to Technorati Favorites

3 comments:

Gayle said...

Your mom's watercolors are so beautiful! What a joy to see and read the inspirational messages.

Gayle said...

Your mom's watercolors are so beautiful! What a joy to see and read the inspirational messages.

momof3girls said...

I agree - I forget how nice it is to receive a letter or note in the mail. My daughters (princess #2) her sunday school teacher sends each kid a letter at the start of each unit giving them the new bible verse and just encouraging them to be in attendance, and maybe mentioned a funny story. The kids love it!!!! I guess when it comes down to it, we all like to be remembered!