Shoestring Meals - Feeding a crowd


Have you ever been faced with the dilemma of feeding a group of teenagers? When my oldest son was turning 18 we wanted to have a birthday party for him. I thought we'd invite a few of his friends and have pizza. He ended up inviting every person that he had ever spoken to (not really, it just seemed that way). We couldn't afford that much pizza. We knew that the kids were going to be hungry and we didn't want them to think that the party was lame. So, we had to find an affordable yet teen approved alternative.
My husband remembered that his mother used to make these Cheezy Sandwiches. He said that they were great; his friends always loved them. So I said - Let's give them a try.

At first I was skeptical of the strange combination of ingredients, but after trying one I was sold and so were the kids. During the party I put a big bowl of the sandwiches on the counter and left the room. When I came back, just a few minutes later, the bowl was almost empty. Standing next to the bowl was a visiting exchange student from Japan named Yoshi. I asked Yoshi what had happened to all of the sandwiches and he jiggled his tummy and said, "They're in here". Ever since we have always called these sandwiches Little Yoshi's.
The recipe makes about 2 dozen so double it or triple it for a crowd.

Little Yoshis (or Cheezy Sandwiches)
  • 1 lb Cheddar Cheese
  • 3 chopped up hard boiled eggs (No, I'm not kidding. You really put hard boiled eggs in these.)
  • 1 4 oz can chopped olives or about 1/2 cup of olives that you chop yourself
  • 3 green onions finely chopped
  • 1 can tomato sauce (we like to use pizza sauce)
  • 24 Potato Rolls (Potato rolls work best but we have used all kinds of rolls, even hamburger buns. Whatever is on sale - or, if you have time, bake your own rolls)
  • foil

  1. Heat oven to 250 degrees
  2. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
  3. Slice rolls 3/4 of the way and stuff with a spoonful of cheese mixture.
  4. Wrap each roll in foil and place rolls in oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. You can place the rolls directly on the oven racks.
  5. Place all of the foil wrapped sandwiches in a bowl and serve warm.
  6. If you have left overs, store them in the fridge and warm them in a 250 oven.
I wish that I had a picture of these yummy sandwiches but I haven't made them in a while. I think that it's time for another party!

image by stock.xchng
Add to Technorati Favorites

2 comments:

Gayle said...

So . . . are you doing little Yoshi's for the wedding rehearsal dinner? (-:

Dee Ann said...

That's not a bad idea.....
Maybe we should have a big batch available on the Friday set up day.