Shoestring Meals - Swedish Pancakes


It is 4:20 and I still don't know what to make for dinner. Since I decided to post about these delicious Swedish crepe style pancakes, I guess that's what's for dinner too. This is a recipe that belonged to my husband's grandmother. Grandma Edie was Swedish to the core and though she has been with the Lord for some time I still have the Swedish pancake recipe card that she wrote for me when I first got married. It is quite battered and stained (I'm not a neat cook) but I can still read her lovely handwriting and it is still one of our favorite meals.
Even though you would think of this as a breakfast meal we often have it for dinner. I figure 3 eggs and 2 cups milk make it high in protein and calcium. Then when you pair it with applesauce you get a decent dinner. This is a great Shoestring Recipe because when you are out of everything else you almost always have eggs, milk and flour.

Swedish Pancakes
3 eggs
2 tbl sugar (sometimes if I'm feeling guilty I use less)
2 cups rich milk (Grandma says rich milk is milk mixed with 1/2 and 1/2. I rarely have 1/2 and 1/2 so I just use milk.)
3 tbl melted butter or margarine
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup flour

I mix this up in a blender. Add the first 5 ingredients and blend then add the flour and blend some more until the flour is completely mixed in. Pour into small pancakes onto hot griddle. Best when served with Swedish Lingonberries (you can find lingonberries at IKEA) but also yummy with Apple Sauce.

Quick Microwave Apple Sauce
Apples are a great Shoestring staple to have on hand. There are so many things that you can do with an apple.
Peel and slice at least one apple per person. Put the apple slices in a microwavable casserole dish and add about 1 cup apple juice and a tbl of butter (butter is optional). Microwave on high until the apples are cooked and tender. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and mash until you get the consistency of apple sauce that you like. I like mine a little chunky.
Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: